Music and the Human Experience
MUGN-J202-001 and 002; MUGN-U202-001 and 002 | Fall 2013
Service learning is required for this course.
Time commitment: 20 hours
Learning goal: Students will analyze music as a product of culture and strengthen their understanding of the role played by music in the real lives of individuals and communities in New Orleans. They will examine the relationship of music to other realms of human experience (class, gender, technology, spirituality, conflict, etc).
All students in this course must complete a service learning placement with one of the following agencies:
Anna's Arts for Kids
APEX Youth Center
Good Shepherd School
Hainkel Home & Rehabilitation Center
Ozanam Inn Computer Lab
St. Stephen Catholic School
Uptown Shepherd's Center
HOW TO CHOOSE & COMPLETE A SERVICE LEARNING PLACEMENT
- Watch this video on how to get a service learning placement.
- Once you have finalized your service learning placement, document all your hours using a service learning timesheet. Submit timesheets to the service learning office twice per semester. Check the Loyola Service Learning Calendar for timesheet deadlines.
- Finish all your service learning hours by the last day of classes.
- Know that your performance will be evaluated by your agency. This performance evaluation will be given to your professor and incorporated into your class grade.
- Receive a service learning transcript notation. Put it on your resume too!