Rosalie Parrino, M.B.A. '64, J.D. '77
Class of 1977


Loyola’s Pharmacy School in 1950. I enrolled at Loyola in 1952 in the College of Business. There were no facilities for housing women so we were able to rent a room on Nashville Ave. from a Miss Viola Daprieu. From …

In 1957 Fr. Boggs asked me to fill her post. Our office was in Marquette Hall on the second floor next to the auditorium and across from the President’s office. After Fr. Boggs was reassigned Fr. Bill … was named Dean of Students, and subsequently Fr. Partridge, and finally Fr. Mallay until he became ill. My job was to take care of off campus housing for women, supervise all social activities for women and moderate man clubs, etc.

I earned an MBA in 1964 and from 1967-69 entered the graduate program in Counseling and Guidance. In June 1969 I accepted an academic advising position at the University of New Orleans and in 1975 was recruited by Dr. B. Weitte (former Loyola Night Dean) to establish a Women’s Center at Delgado Community College. In 1978 I was appointed Dean of Business … at Delgado and in 1977 I earned a Juris Doctorate from Loyola and give a full professorship at Delgado. After more then 25 years I resigned from Delgado and due to illness moved to … Ms. Katrina destroyed all of my possessions including my diplomas, etc. So here I am ready to share memories at age 77 and surviving cancer.


Loyola had gone coed due to enrollment declines during World War II and Korean War. Fr. Anthony O Flynn was Dean of Medicine and he hired Joan Barrino as Dean of Women in the 1950s. When I enrolled in 1952 I joined a service sorority “LSL” (Lay of Service to Loyola). Ms. Barrino asked me to accompany her to the newly built fieldhouse on Freret St. The LSL members had raised money to furnish the Ladies’ restroom. Women were going to play intramurals and have physical education classes in the fieldhouse. Believe it or not there were no Ladies’ rooms.

Fr. O’Flynn realized that housing women was important to parents of out of town students. We contacted a group of nuns from Spain (Daughters of Jesus), who had purchased a large home on St. Charles Ave. in the 5000 block and very close to Loyola. The sisters agreed to house and offer meals to approximately 25 coeds. At that time Ursuline High School … had quite a few girls wanting to come to Loyola. Ruby Reed (Loyola), Genny Delosa, Ann Bee (Berringer), Kay Foster, Gayle Hurglone, were some of the residents. Those of us who weren’t able to get a room there had to find housing off campus in private homes. My sister Maria was already at Loyola in Pharmacy School and living on Nashville Ave. I was able to room with her since the lady had twin beds in her rental room.

The men also had to find housing off campus. Some of the homes had as many as 15 students living there. Mrs. Bellina on Calhoun St. offered room and board. The athletes were housed in the Ranch Houses on campus facing Calhoun St. A Jesuit priest who was their monitor and who traveled with them on basketball trips lived at the Ranch House. Most of the players were from Chicago – Dick Vaverick, Bobby Conrad, Sheets Toochy. By thr way Sheets’ son and daughter-in-law were the Texan couple that took in Michael Oher, the Baltimore Ravens football player whose story was made in to “The Blind Side.”

Some of the women lived in large homes such as Mrs. Qualey’s on State St. – Tish Romans (Rokaske), Barbara Shippey, Anntoinette Giratano, Barbara Sobb. Mrs. Voltuggio on Calhoun St. – Barbara Fliuh, Carol Bachiachs. Mrs. Foley on Henry Clay housed over 15 and served meals.

Mrs. Carmel on St. Charles and Calhoun first housed over 20 male students. She eventually decided to take only women because the boys played pranks like dropping balloons full of water from the balcony on the passing cars and passing students walking in front of the house. When I became Dean of Women she wanted to sell the house to me. I had made friends with her since I visited often to check on things and referred coeds to her. She housed over 20 coeds on the 2nd and 3rd floors and some times in the basement. Fire Marshals had her install a fire escape. Eventually I confided in Fr. E.A. Doyle about her desire to sell. Fr. Doyle and Fr. Goodspeed got on a three-way call with her and Mrs. Carmel and started the process to … the home. In those days they had to get Rome’s approval.

On St. Charles Ave. (about 8000 block) there was a wedding reception home. The owner rented the basement apartment to coeds. Doris Gibbons, Nickie Nichol (cheerleader fourth from the left on the back page cover of LOYNO), Mildred Marion and Mary Ann Veal lived in this apartment. I was invited to visit them and they served wine they had gotten from a reception, bottles that had been left to be picked up by garbage men. Clever!

As more and more women came to Loyola both Dominican College at 7214 St. Charles Avenue and Ursline had to close. I was told by one of the Dominican College teacher that Loyola had agreed not to offer programs in Business of Secretarial Science or Education once the enrollment went coed. That didn’t happen. When Loyola brought the college and high school property for the Law School on St. Charles and Broadway I couldn’t believe my home in Foundrrs Hall for 4 years was now a residence for Loyola Law Students.

Evangeline Malero (Vavoick) was appointed Dean of Women when Joan Barrino left in the 50s. Evangeline decided to go to Law School. Fr. Robert Boggs was Dean f Men and he called me to come visit he. He offered me the position. If had been very active in most college organizations and awarded for outstanding service. Evangeline was a friend and once I completed law school at night she helped me with legal matters. She to this day has been very generous and loyal to her alma mater – so too her daughter Eve who finished Loyola Law School.

Once I accepted the Dean of Women post I was given a new office in the same room as Fr. Bogg’s. The office was in Marquette Hall on the west side next to the auditorium and across the hall from the President’s office. When I sat at my desk I opened the middle top drawer to clean it out. I found way in the back a small box with a ribbon holding a medal. It was a medal from the George Washington Centennial, which I was told was held at the Loyola football stadium on Freret St. Fr. Jensen was Dean of Students then and the desk where I found it had been used by him. My father graduated from Tulane pharmacy School in the 1920s. He said Loyola and Tulane were fierce rivals when it came to football. Dean Engler told me he played on the team and the boys from each school dumped trash over the fence diving the properties. The New Orleans fans of both schools had problems with schedules that held games on the same day. It is a fact as told to me by Fr. Karl Marring who was the team moderator and who traveled with the team, that Loyola had the first night football game in the history of football. Fr. Karl taught Physics. He was very nice to me and always had wonderful stories.

Another find, which was priceless once I settled in my Marquette office was in the cap and gown room next to the office and the auditorium thespian dressing room. The students had to rent caps and gowns at that time for graduation. One of my jobs was to have them cleaned and to distribute them. As I was sorting the robes I found a small box that had a 78 phone record in it. It had been recorded at Loyola. When I played it, it was the Loyola Fight Song sung by Anthony Caruso (he graduated in Music School and went on to be with the New York Metropolitan Opera). I kept the record until the early 2000s and was able to get his address. He was living in Florida and now retired. I asked if he would like his first recording and of course he was thrilled (I lost my correspondence with him with all my possessions when Katrina hit us). He sent me a most gracious note.

When Biever Hall was on the drawing board piles were being driven and they began to snap or crack as I stood next to Fr. Karl M. He turned to me and said I remember when we tore down the Football Stadium they just buried large pieces of concrete the size of a car or better. Once Biever was completed I went on tour the Dean of Men Fr. Bill Jenkin who was to reside there with the students. There were no mirrors in the basin or bath area, no hooks and badly planned for a residence. On the ground floor Dr. Perish and Mrs. Burkhart a nurse had the health center for all students.

One of the popular events on St. Charles Ave. on the lawn and in front of Marquette was the annual Christmas Choral Celebration. Presented a Santa Clause suit and a horse and buggy that comes of out Audubon Park ( it was open in front at that time). The music was played by the Music School Band Campus Capers, coco was served by sorority girls and candy canes given to children by Santa. A Christmas … and all the figures were set up by Fr. Mandracias who was the “Father Minister” of the priest residence in Thomas Hall. The dining room was off limits to women so when a coed, Bonnie Smith, went to heat the coco that had gotten cold a Jesuit told her to get out fast before she would be punished severely.
Most of the Jesuits retreated to Jesuit Bend on weekends to fish or just relax at their camp. They also had a beautiful home on the Mississippi Coast Hwy 90 called Xavier Hall. Fr. Maha would ask me to drive him there one a year to make his retreat. Fr. Maha had a very big dog he walked on campus and in the park. Whenever students eating in the cafeteria saw him coming they held on to their food. Fr. was known to sit in the park and counsel people who stopped and sat on his bench. There were many colorful Jesuits during my professional and students stay at Loyola.

Fr. Joseph Butt taught accounting. He had a sharp mind and could tell you almost to the inch where you lived and something about the town or city. He loved New York and made friends with two ladies who took him all over in New York and paid all of his expenses. When the ladies came to Mardi Gras at his invitation and father’s New Orleans friends having them as guests he invited me to pick them up at the host home and drive them to the Municipal Auditorium to see a Mardi Gras ball. Fr. Butt sat in the front seat with a big brown bag. When we arrived at the auditorium he gave me the bag and told me just to pull up at the entrance to let the ladies out. I was to go in and check the ladies fur coats for them along with the bag. The bad had two quarts of gumbo that their host had left over from the evening meal. The host will never know it was checked in with fur coats at the ball!

When I dropped Fr. Butt off at Thomas Hall he had one of the boys lined up to take him to pick up the ladies and go to the airport. He had thousands of postcards from all over the world that he asked friends to send him for his collection. There was a Butt award given each year Judy Brooks received it.

Fr. Tonnar (?) took students to … every summer for summer school. The students said he wore shorts and was lots of fun. One student was Marilyn Annoult (Stamm). Fr. Hecker was chaplain and when being introduced to students at orientation he told them to think “who the hell” is their priest. One day at a function several students said hello Fr . Heller.

Fr. Twomey taught journalism. The students called him “Banjo Twomey” because he always tucked his left hand in his robess and moved it up and down. He was in charge of the Loyola Forums. A large 4x8 board with a life size picture of each guest would be placed on the corners of KB (they were all on corners) announcing the events usually held at the Roosevelt Hotel. He was very bad at names and he way of saving face would be to turn to the speaker before introducing them and say, “How do you spell your name?” Once the answer was – with two L’s. Bishop Sheen was a popular guest in New Orleans.

Fr. Chapman taught History. He had notes his students called “Chapman’s Chapters.” He operated the movie projectors in the auditorium which was he only air conditioned place except the President and Dean’s offices. He was kind enough to show movies I ordered during the summer for the nuns who were coming to finish degrees and companions who were assigned to come with them. They were still in habits, and the temperature was brutal for them. So sitting through an old movie wasn’t so bad in A/C. If a movie had something Fr. Chapman thought immodest he would tell the sisters to close their eyes.

As more and more women enrolled there was a great need for housing of out of state students. By chance I learned from a Mrs. Vizard , who for over 20 years supervised and hired male students to man the suiteboard and the entrance to the Jesuit residence at Thomas Hall, that the Jesuits owned two apartment builds next to the fieldhouse on Freret St. I was able to show that more income should be earned if let to convert them to housing for women. To get maximum Loyola track down and do a story on where their lives lead them and their achievements. They were Kate Cola, Alice Coig (McDonald), Linda Hendrick (Malak), and Pumkin Conant (Parham). In the bargain I had to hire Mrs. Morrison, Mayor Chip Morrison’s mother and Fr. R. Boggs relative as the House Mother. It wasn’t uncommon to see police cars flashing lights in front of the house to pick up Mrs. Morrison and take her different places in the city.

Fraternities like SAK, Beggars, ADG and UBL wee the main source of social life for the students. There was a yearly tug of war in Audubon Park by the lake in front of the park. This was discontinued when one fraternity was seriously injured. I believe it was a Foley. Dr. Blanford who lived on State St. saved his life.

The only sorority permitted for socials was BAE (Business and Education majors – but anyone who wanted to join was welcomed). Several students came time to charter a sorority but I was told to refuse. Strange – male frats but no female social sororities. Finally I sent a letter to Fr. Donnelley (President) telling him that if approved could speak for a rush and a Jesuit priest would be present and serve as moderator for the sorority. Once approval was received and word go out we had visits from other Jesuit schools to offer affiliation with these sororities. One from Detroit was KBG. Mary Jo Kreiger was president and Fr. A.C. O’Flynn was asked by the girls to be their moderator. Loyola Chicago’s Assistant Dean of Women, Joan Vaccuro, met with a group, mainly out of town residents at Immaculata House on St. Charles Ave. to introduce them to Theta Phi Alpha national Catholic sorority. A local student was first to join her Texas friends and support the charter for a Loyola chapter. I was honored to be named an honorary member.

The initiates ceremony was quite impressive and held in the trophy room in the fieldhouse. Some of the New Orleans girls who came as high school friends from such schools as Sacred Heart on St. Charles Ave. and Ursuline Academy on State St. some presented a request and charters from Phi Phi Phi (Tri Phi). Jocely Kuebel (Hallarm), Sandra Brown, Mary Ann Riesing, Sylvia Patron and Lucy Sahuals were very active. Once again I was honored with honorary membership.

Sigma Sigma Sigma, a Pan-Hellenic sorority was a fourth sorority. Each of these sororities voted to have a Jesuit priest as their moderator. Phi Phi Phi – Fr. Mulaky (Biology professor), Thetha Phi Alpha – Fr. Yamachi (Theology), KBG – Fr. O’Flynn, Sigma Sigma Sigma – Fr. Montasino. Of course as Jesuits were transferred from Loyola other priests took over. Fr. Poche was one. The priest loved the girls and the girls truly appreciated the wisdom and concern of the priest in and out of class relationship. When Betsy (the great hurricane in the 50s) hit New Orleans, rush was canceled and the sororities pooled all their money budgetd for that year and bought blankets, etc. and went downtown to help the Holy Ghost Sisters in the quarters take a census to find Catholic parishers of Holy Redeemer Parish. There were many, many charity events that no one will ever hear of that were done by these women.

Finally there was some government money for housing at universities. Fr. Bogg’s brother Gale Boggs helped Loyola receive some. This helped getting plans for a women’s dorm. Mr. Jim Blitz, the architect for the new science building (Monroe Hall) had experience for dormitories, one being Holy Cross High School dorm. I decided to take two students and go to many of the Louisiana colleges to see what we could learn and suggest to Mr. Blitz who had requested input. Sally Drappleman and Barbara Salateback (Berrigan) came with me. At that time I was a member of the Louisiana Association of Women Deans and my friends in southern hospitality invited me to come and took time to point out dos and don’ts. Mr. Blitz was very receptive to suggestions. One suggestion was to put the social area for the girls on the top floor and to use the roof. Mr. Blitz planned the roof to be built with the same material used on ships so the girls could sun bathe, play or party on the roof. Since the government would not permit religious use we put in a music room to serve as a meditation (chapel) room.

A close friend of mine from Dominican H.S. and Loyola – Lynn Reike (Lota) – had a great uncle who lived in an apartment at the Roosevelt Hotel. He was close friends with Fr. Donnelley, Loyola’s President then. Lynn’s uncle Mr. LeGier gave me a considerable donation for the Women’s dorm. I was excited when Lynn told me. I thought “Maison LeGier” would be a great name but he wanted the dorm named after his wife in her maiden name. On the ground floor was a reception room close to the reception area at the entrance. Once “Buddig Hall” was completed a beautiful portrait of Mr. LeGier’s sweetheart was hung in the reception room and every year while he was alive he sent a bouquet of roses on her birthday to be placed by her picture.

A man named Green saved us from having furnishing being donated by the Roosevelt which was redecorating. Mr. Green provided his interior decorating talents and Hemmingway’s provided most of the furnishings. There were old ice cream parlor chairs which had been used for seating in the army building user for a cafeteria before the Danna Center. These were in storage but Mr. Green agreed with me that they would be perfect redone for the special area on the top floor.

We also raised enough money for an ice machine for the little vending café social area. The housing staff was exceptional. Mrs. Mae Sciard, Mrs. Pauline Goodyne, and Mrs. Mary Delgallo were loveable and hardworking housemothers around the clock and paid very low salaries and given an apartment. Janice Gandet was the housing director. Residents received meals at the dining room for Buddig and Biever Hall. Saga Food Service contracted to provide this meal service. One item insistent on was that Saga would have a steak night once a week. A time capsule was buried in front of the Danna Center. Since LaSalle St. stopped at Calhoun St. by Holy Name School, mail would not be delivered to Buddig Hall. I initiated a request that the city extent LaSalle St. to the Budding parking lot in front of the Danna Center.

The first thing the Budding residents did was to suggest rules and regulations and form a Residence Council. Pumkin Conant was appointed the first president of the Women’s Residence Council. The students called the recreational vending area on the top floor The Pumkin Room (she was born on October 31, so Pumkin was her nickname). Mrs. Mary Delgallo, housemother, had a daughter enrolled in the music school. Her name was Genevieve. She had a beautiful voice, which helped when she entered the Miss Louisiana Contest and won the title.

Some of my vivid memories are as follows:

Blue Key Honor Fraternity sponsored a Talent Night each year. It was first class and very professional – tux and all. It was unbelievable, the talent in the Loyola student body.

I wanted something to replace Kangaroo Court to introduce women students to the upperclassmen. A Key and Seal ceremony was held in Holy Name Church where upperclassmen gave freshmen women a small gold key charm to represent the key to success and the upperclassmen received the charm with the Loyola seal.

In researching the seal I found out that every Jesuit college and university had the seal. The seal was duplicated from St. Ignatius Loyola’s family coat of arms. During the days of knighthood, the wealthy Ignatius family opened its home to traveling knights. After feasting a black pot was hung outside the castle to keep hungry wolves from eating other animals and eating the garbage put in the pot. The wolves hanging over the pot is where the name Loyola came from – Lobo (wolf), olla (pot), Lobo y olla – Loyola. The family decided to use this as part of their coat of arms and to signify the hospitality of the family. To this day I do not believe most Jesuits or Loyola grads know this history. Check the large seal in front of Marquette.

Every organization had a spring banquet. Most were held at Delmonico’s on St. Charles Ave. The fieldhouse served as a recreation site as well as basketball. The Jambalaya Party, the Swamp Stomp, Graduation, etc. A student named Cadillac (Larry) Smith would do magic acts at the fieldhouse. He once held by rope from a beam while chained and would free himself before a rope burned. Once he fell on his head. Would you believe he went to law school and is now one of the most successful criminal attorneys in New Orleans? Also, George Parham who married Pumkin Conant (now divorced) became one of the most successful Texas attorneys. He has been on TV in very high profile cases. Kate Cole (Pumkin’s room mate), has served as principal of several schools in Natchez and recognized as a most effective educator.

When I was in law school at night they were dumping all the Pharmacy school lab materials. A friend got in the dumpster and retrieved pill marked slabs, etc. I understand some items were given to the Chemistry department at Ursuline Academy where the Dean of Pharmacy’s wife taught.

Some of the unsung heroes were –

Fr. E.A. Doyle, who championed women’s causes and attended student activities regularly. Fr. A O’Flynn counseled and served exceptionally. Mr. Henry Asher who worked with the college with Public Relations. Charlie Brennan and Mary Lou Sirhos who truly gave Loyola some of the best PR and faithful service with low pay. Dr. Brenden Brava who taught international law and did research.

Dr. Grace Swift wrote many books and professional articles. She taught History and went to Russia quite often to do research. A good friend to all, excellent teachers, and a religious who supported her Sisters of the Kansas Ursuline Order. Ms. Isabel Snyder was a Spanish teacher who treated each student in a special way.